Avoiding payment for phone services, cable television services, or multipoint distribution system service — Louisiana
Criminal Defense Attorney New Orleans
Elizabeth B. Carpenter, Esq. – Serving clients in Orleans, Jefferson, Terrebonne, Tangipahoa, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Tammany, St. John, Assumption and Plaquemines Parishes.
Avoiding payment for phone services, cable television services, or multipoint distribution system service — Louisiana 14:221
A. Avoidance of payment for telecommunication, cable television, or multipoint distribution system services is the avoidance, attempt to avoid, or the causing of another person to avoid, the lawful charges, in whole or in part, for any telephone, telegraph, cable, or multipoint distribution system service utilized or for the transmission of a message, signal, or other communication over telephone, telegraph, cable facilities, or multipoint distribution system:
(1) By the use of a code, prearranged scheme, or other similar strategem or device whereby such person, in effect, sends or receives information; or
(2) By rearranging, tampering or interfering with, or making unauthorized connection with any facilities or equipment of a telephone or telegraph company, whether physically, inductively, acoustically, or otherwise; or
(3) By intercepting and decoding a transmission by a multipoint distribution system without the authorization of the provider of the service, the person intentionally or knowingly attaches to, causes to be attached to, or incorporates in a television set, video tape recorder, or other equipment designed to receive a television transmission a device that intercepts and decodes the transmission.
(4) By the use of any other fraudulent means, method, trick, or device.
B.(1) On a first conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
(2) On a second conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than five thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not more than five years, or both.
C. Nothing herein shall prohibit the use of earth station receivers to receive satellite communications.