Intellectual Property Crimes
New Orleans Intellectual Property Criminal Defense
If you or a loved one is being investigated for a white collar crime in the New Orleans area, contact Law Office of Elizabeth B. Carpenter, Esq. We have the experience and dedication that your case needs.
Offenses Against Intellectual Property – La R.S. 14:73.2
An offense against intellectual property is the intentional:
(1) Destruction, insertion, or modification, without consent, of intellectual property; or
(2) Disclosure, use, copying, taking, or accessing, without consent, of intellectual property.
Whoever commits an offense against intellectual property shall be fined not more than $500, or imprisoned for not more than 6 months, or both, for commission of the offense.
However, when the damage or loss amounts to a value of $500.00 or more, the offender may be fined not more than $10,000, or imprisoned with or without hard labor, for not more than 5 years, or both.
Elizabeth B. Carpenter, Esq. — New Orleans Intellectual Property Crime Attorney Serving Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. John, St. Tammany, Plaquemines Parishes!
Louisiana White Collar Crime Defense
Illegal Use of Counterfeit Trademark
No person shall knowingly sell, possess with the intent to sell, or otherwise transfer for compensation anything of value having a counterfeit trademark.
“Person” shall include an individual, corporation, partnership, association, or other body of persons, whether incorporated or not.
“Counterfeit trademark” shall mean a false trademark that is identical to or substantially indistinguishable from:
- A genuine trademark registered on the principal register in the United States Patent and Trademark Office and used or intended for use on or in connection with goods or services; or
- A genuine trademark specifically protected by any state or federal statute.
Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than $10,000, or be imprisoned with or without hard labor for 0 to 5 years, or both.
In lieu of a fine otherwise authorized by law, any person convicted of engaging in conduct in violation who derived pecuniary value, or caused personal injury or property damage or other loss, may be sentenced to pay a fine that does not exceed three times the gross value gained or three times the gross loss caused, whichever is greater. The court shall hold a hearing to determine the amount of the fine.
Louisiana White Collar Crime Defense
Elizabeth B. Carpenter, Esq. has served many Louisiana Citizens who are facing white collar felony and misdemeanor charges in state and federal court.
Winning criminal cases requires a winning trial strategy. While many criminal cases are resolved before trial, in either a dismissal or favorable plea settlement, it is fundamental that every case be treated from the outset as a case that will go to trial.
This means two things. First: your criminal defense lawyer must be prepared for trial. This enables her to advise you on your chances of winning at trial because she is prepared. Second: your lawyer must know what the best possible plea deal is in your case so they can help you pursue it. Whether we go to trial with you or accept a plea bargain on your behalf is always your decision in the end.
Attorney Elizabeth Carpenter is prepared to represent you if you are facing any white collar crime charge in Louisiana, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Insider Trading
- Insurance Fraud
- Intellectual Property Crimes
- Investment Schemes
- Money Laundering
- Securities Fraud
- Tax Evasion
- Telemarketing Fraud
- Welfare Fraud
- Public corruption
- Mortgage fraud
- Business fraud
- Real estate fraud
- Bank Fraud
- Computer fraud
- Credit Card Fraud
- Currency Schemes
Facing an indictment for a white collar crime is one of the most difficult experiences one could possibly endure. In addition to whatever consequences a conviction might bring, including prison time and permanent felony conviction on your record, a white collar crime charge can do lasting damage to your reputation and tear apart your family, even if you are not convicted. The Law Office of Elizabeth B. Carpenter, Esq. understands the stress that you are experiencing. Our job is to minimize any potential damage to your future and protect your rights.
Attorney Elizabeth B. Carpenter believes every client deserves the highest quality legal representation – no matter how big or small the case may be. Her legal services are marked by the following:
- Abide by the highest ethical standards
- Treat my clients with respect and courtesy
- Consider all of my clients’ unique circumstances and provide services to meet their individual needs
- Keep my clients informed of the progress of their case
- Discuss major decisions with my clients before I make them, and provide my clients with the information they need to make informed decisions
- Promptly return telephone calls and respond quickly to e-mails and letters
- Carefully protect privileged and confidential information
- Provide outstanding legal service as efficiently as possible
If you are under investigation for a white collar or corporate crime, contact Law Office of Elizabeth B. Carpenter, Esq. for a consultation.