Louisiana Trial Attorney New Orleans
Elizabeth B. Carpenter, Esq. — New Orleans Criminal Defense
Grounds for Mistrial — La Code of Criminal Procedure Article 775
A mistrial may be ordered, and in a jury case the jury dismissed, when:
(1) The defendant consents thereto;
(2) The jury is unable to agree upon a verdict;
(3) There is a legal defect in the proceedings which would make any judgment entered upon a verdict reversible as a matter of law;
(4) The court finds that the defendant does not have the mental capacity to proceed;
(5) It is physically impossible to proceed with the trial in conformity with law; or
(6) False statements of a juror on voir dire prevent a fair trial.
Contact us today for a consultation — Elizabeth B. Carpenter, Esq.!